Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cleaning Out the Clutter!

My sister and I were out running errands one day and stopped by a craft/hobby store to browse. As we walked in the front doors we saw various types of furniture on display. My eye was drawn to a five-drawer chest. As I meandered towards it my sister quickly grabbed my arm and said, "NO! Don't even go look at it! I know what will happen. You'll fill all of those drawers with stuff that I'll have to help you clean out!" She knows me well...
You see, I like to hide my clutter. As long as it's not visible to me or to others, I'm OK. I stuff "stuff" in drawers, cabinets, and closets with the full intent of going back to it and cleaning it out later when I have more time. Many times I've called on my sister to come help me clean out the buffet or kitchen drawers. We'll clean them out and eventually they'll clutter back up with this and that and who knows what. Been there?
But this last time we cleaned out my mother's buffet I was determined to KEEP it that way! And I have, so far...I'm making progress! :)
Jesus wants to clean out all the clutter in our lives. (Sin, pain, fear, worry..the list goes on!) He wants to dig down deep and remove all the dirt and grime. All the junk. All the "stuff." And He wants to keep it clean. Washed clean. White as snow clean.
We're so good at hiding stuff, aren't we? But we can't hide it from the Savior. He knows what's behind closed doors and drawers and every nook and cranny of our hearts and minds. Ask Him to come help you clean your clutter. He's willing and able to help you every time you need Him. And best of all, He'll keep you from RE-cluttering your life! Once clean, you don't ever want to return to the old way of doing things.

2 Corinthians 5:17
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment